CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A CHURCH IN NEED OF GOD'S HEALING TOUCH

I attend First United Methodist Church in Lexington, KY. We have two campuses, one located downtown and one in the Andover area, a rapidly growing area of Lexington which previously lacked a church with TRADITIONAL worship. We like to say that we have two locations, one firm foundation. I have sung in the Chancel Choir downtown for more than 30 years and recently started serving at Andover by singing in the choir there. I consider myself a member of both congregations and both choirs.

On 9/11/08 we learned that our choir director , Albin Whitworth had been let go by our Staff Parish Relations Committee. Albin and his wife Katie had faithfully served our church for over 30 years. Albin's talent is incredible but his main focus has been to create a worship experience through music. He wrote and arranged music and was well known for his FIFTH SUNDAYS, which were all music services complete with choir and orchestra built around a theme, such as HEAVEN and AMAZING GRACE to name a few. We actually have FIFTH SUNDAY members; those whose membership is in another church or denomination but who regularly attend any time there is a FIFTH Sunday in a month. My parents who live in Louisville are FIFTH SUNDAY MEMBERS.

Currently there is a lot of hurt, anger, disappointment, and confusion surrounding this termination. Some congregations members feel blindsided, others want to move their membership to another church or even another demonination.

I sing as a way to use the gifts God has given me as an act of worship and to glorify Him. And I will continue to sing as a tribute to a man who has given so much of himself to make the music ministry of our church a vital part of that worship.

Only God can heal our church. Please join me in praying for complete healing of our body of believers, especially the choir members.

SING TO THE LORD A NEW SONG;
SING TO THE LORD, ALL THE EARTH.
SING TO THE LORD, PRAISE HIS NAME;
PROCLAIM HIS SALVATION DAY AFTER DAY. PSALM 96: 1-2

9 comments:

Susan "Hey, stop by often." said...

Praying for the Lord's hand in every decision, for every heart, and with great power to accomplish tremendous blessings in spite of circumstances that seem unfair. God's mighty provisions will spring forth in His great love for you all! --Susan T.

Anonymous said...

Linda, I wish everyone had your heart. It will take a lot of healing but with God's help we will endure this. I trust that God will always work for good and that he will be true to his nature in this circumstance also.

D

Anonymous said...

Amen and Amen from two Fifth Sunday members.
We were always blessed by the musical talent and direction by Albin and the choir.
We love Katie and Albin and they are in my prayers.
Joyce

Kimberly said...

Hey Linda!

I'm praying for you and your church. I come from a church that has had many heartaches and many losses in leadership and I know how hard it can be to change. Hang in there and know that God has the better plan and it will work out for His Good.

Love ya,
Kimberly

Laura said...

I am praying for you and your church. I have been through alot of church issues and other church splits.
I am praying for unity and for direction for you and your church during this time.
I have been through this myself. It breaks my heart that those who call themselves Christians do this.
Praying for you.

Debbie said...

Praying for you and your church. Remain faithful, with your pure heart, I know the Lord will use you to strengthen others and be a great healer in your church. Love you my older friend!

Love and Blessings, Debbie in Tennessee

Anonymous said...

I am also praying for healing, forgiveness, and justice in our church. I was out of town when this occurred and am still in disbelief, as I care a great deal about everyone involved and wish that personality conflicts could have been put aside and that the well-being of our church (i.e. the congregation, not the building) could have been kept as the foremost consideration after worship. I cannot think that this conflict and turmoil are in accord with God's wishes...

I enjoy your blog...

Susan

Anonymous said...

Linda,

It is very interesting that I came across your blog.

I just googled Albin Whitworth because I had been thinking about him a lot lately. He had an enormous impact on me and my husband in our early twenties when he was organist at Walnut Street Baptist Church in Louisville. We were there for his last three years there. I think often about when he played the organ how my spirit soared.

I am a musician too and I learned so much from him in those three years. I play the flute and he loved to accompany me.

You are blessed to have spent thirty years under his music. I can imagine that it is very difficult without him in your church. May God bless you and your church!

I always said Albin is the master of modulation! He is an amazing musician and a wonderful man.

Alice

Anonymous said...

Shame on Mr. Whitworth who made himself a god, and good luck in your healing. When there is no tolerance for growth and inclusiveness in worship in a church, it dies, look at Epworth! Those who fled Epworth for the same reasons are no doubt knee deep in this too!