CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

AN ENCOURAGER FIRST, A RUNNER SECOND


My husband Ernie ran his first marathon (26.2 miles for you non runners like me) when he was 50 years old. He is now 56 and will be running his next marathon in Nov. in San Antonio. In 6 years he has run almost 20 Marathons so you would think his main running focus would be on his training and bettering his performance. But it is not. Ernie is an ENCOURAGER and would rather help new or less experienced runners achieve their dreams. He has a "harem" of women that he runs with every day, some faster, some slower. Some better than him, some not. The point is , he does not care. He wants each woman he runs with to reach her full potential. He takes it as a CALLING and I love him for that.

Yesterday, Ernie helped Julie and Cathy celebrate their birthdays with a 5:30 am run before work and chocolate cakes for each. He calls Julie JLO because she likes BLING, and because purple is her favorite color, he decorated her cake with purple frosting. His nickname for Cathy is runway model and he used pink frosting for her cake.( I baked the cakes but Ernie decorated them!).

I am posting a picture from the celebration yesterday. Cathy is on the left and Julie is on the right. The Chippendale in the middle is my wonderful husband. This is not his usual attire. In fact he created the outfit the night before to give his friends a laugh. Hope you enjoy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said Linda. Ernie is truly an encourager, and has helped so many in the Bluegrass running community achieve their goals to live a healthier lifestyle. Thank you to both you and Ernie for the blessings you bring to our community.
Cathy C. AKA RWG

Anonymous said...

You are right about Ernie's outfit... I think his shorts are usually have a lot less material and are much shorter!!!

D

Jules (Sporty Mama) said...

What a wonderful calling. I, too, am a runner and run because I love it, not because I want to win or be fastest. I completed my first marathon this February, and it was the support of people like your husband that helped me reach that finish line. Finishing a marathon takes God, a loving husband, family, and friends; it is certainly not a solo endeavor even though you may be the only one running. What your husband does is admirable!

Julie Anna