CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 17, 2008

TWENTY NINE YEARS

Ernie and I got married 11/17/79 at 7:30pm ( good luck if the hands of the clock are going up we were told) at Fourth Avenue United Methodist Church in Louisville.

I am going to steal NC Kim's idea and tell you about our first date. Ernie's sister Patsy worked as a secretary at Winburn Jr. High which was one of the five schools assigned to me as a school nurse. Patsy really liked me and I am assuming she loved her brother because she thought it would be a great idea if we met. Driving away from the school that day I thought that something special might be in store for me.

As I mentioned, Patsy really liked me so when Ernie called I told him not to believe EVERYTHING that Patsy had said about me, thinking she might have gone overboard. Ernie response was "You mean you are not independently wealthy?". What a great response I thought. He has a sense of humor.

Our first date was 6/24/79 and we went out to eat at Darryl's, a restaurant that is no longer in business. When Ernie picked me up at my apartment I remember he was wearing a necklace (manly of course, an eagle I think) and a polyester shirt. Right in style. I previously had long term dating experiences with several guys but right away I knew Ernie was different ( and I am not talking about his necklace). He talked about marriage and commitment in general terms that very first night.

I had only been to the horse races one time in my entire life even though I grew up in the Derby City. Ernie took me to 6 different race tracks in our short dating life! We got engaged on 7/12/79. That is 19 days from the day we met!!! More incredible is we only saw each other 8 of those 19 days. I guess that constitutes a whirlwind courtship.

My parents did not meet Ernie until we were already engaged but they loved him too.

Ernie and I have had lots of adventures and experiences in our first 29 years together. The love of our families and friends, our faith in God, and our sense of humor has made our lives together rich and rewarding. Thank you to all who have been a part of our journey. We love you. ( I guess I am speaking for Ernie when I say that but it is ok; He is used to me speaking for him HAHA)

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Happy Anniversary Linda and Ernie! May you have many more wonderful years together!

Love ya,
Kimberly

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, Linda and Ernie,
We appreciate all the loving, thoughtful things you do, and have done, for us. And, your sense(s) of humor is unrivaled.
Keep the faith.
Love,
Mamma and Daddy

Kim said...

Happy Anniversary Girl!!
I love ya to the STARS!
PK