CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, November 30, 2008

WAITING EXPECTANTLY

Today is the first Sunday in ADVENT. Last Sunday was Christ the King Sunday and the end of the Christian calendar. Advent marks the New Year in the church as we expectantly wait for Christ to come to earth as a baby.

Is this a season of HOPE for you? Are you EXPECTING to hear from God in a new way through familiar stories, songs, scripture? ARE you WAITING for the miraculous? Are all your senses AWAKE and ready to recieve your newborn KING?

Or are you STRESSED by all the preparations? Can I find a parking place less than a mile from the mall? I have no idea what to buy for (fill in the blank), they are SO hard to please. I'll never be able to shop, wrap, cook, host, travel, attend ALL the church events ( you name it). I JUST WANT CHRISTMAS TO BE OVER!!!

If you saw yourself in the last paragraph take heart (and a deep breath). Good News is coming. Hope is just up ahead. Listen to Isaiah 61:1-3

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the LORD has annointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in ZION - to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor.

In Luke 4: 16-21 the scroll of Isaiah was handed to Jesus in the synagogue. He stood up and read: The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.

Then Jesus said "Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing".

JESUS is the good news that is coming. JESUS is the hope just up ahead. Wait expectantly to see what God has to say to you in this advent season. Then it will be easy to say " I can't wait for Christmas".

5 comments:

Sheryl said...

ok, i had 2 unread blogs in my reader and you both quoted isaiah! is God intimately involved in our lives or what?? you know that's my life verse and HE knew i needed to hear it today. i am waiting expectantly for all that Christ has. not just for me but for those of you who journey this life with me. thanks, linda!

~sheryl

Laura said...

Linda,

You are keeping the main thing the MAIN thing!
By keeping focused on CHRIST and my focus is what can I give GOD instead of all he has given to me.
He has blessed me beyond measure.
GOD is good. Love you.

Laura

Kim said...

I am trying to focus more on the MAIN thing this year! Thanks for the reminder my friend!
I love ya girl
PK

Iris said...

What a beautiful post! Thank you for prompting me to wait expectantly and for quoting some of my very favorite verses! I am blessed.

Thanks, too, for your comment today on my post. I had no idea about your dog bite. That must have been traumatic! I will pray for continued healing.

Kim said...

Linda
Thank you so much for my Birthday card--Just wanted to let you know I am praying for you this week--Let me know if there is anything specific you may need from me!!
Love ya to the stars,
Kim (PK)