CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

October and Anniversaries (PART 1)

On October 1 , 2008 my parents celebrated their 59th wedding anniversary. They met at Fourth Avenue United Methodist Church in youth group and their first date was to a UL Homecoming dance.(I truly am a CARDINAL by birth). I have never doubted my parents love for each other or for me. They are truly an example of what it means to love unconditionally. All that I am is because of their love and support. They encouraged me to follow my dreams and made me think anything was possible.

Get to know them a little through this creative writing assignment that my mother wrote on 9/30/08.

IT WAS A SUNDAY I WILL NEVER FORGET

February 17, 1952 was a Sunday I will always remember.

Charlie and I were about to experience a new period in our married life. It was exciting to be expecting a baby. However, in 1951 our lives seemed to go on as usual.

We lived a happy life with loving support from our families. This would be the first grandchild and niece/nephew for our sisters.

I quit working at Reynolds Metals Company in November 1951 and on my last working day ( for a salary) , caught a bus downtown to Shackleton's. It was payday and I purchased an RCA TV without consulting Charlie. I chose an impressive piece of furniture with doors that closed so you would not see a blank screen. I was quite proud of my decision.

November and December of 1951 and January of 1952 were filled with ordinary events. There was Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas shopping and presents, and U of L basketball games to attend.

We had no automobile and went most places on the bus or in my parents' car.

Becoming parents was always something that was going to happen in the upcoming months, but it was impossible to visualize our "baby".

I was suddenly awakened at 4:00 a.m. Sunday with the knowledge it was time to leave for the hospital. As i had done many times in the past when we needed them, I dialed my parents' home.

"Daddy, it's time to go to Norton's ".

Outside snow had started falling, but the car interior was toasty warm. A beautiful night for a new birth. Charlie and I sat in the back seat, each with our private thoughts.

Was it going to hurt?
Will our child be healthy?
Will we be good parents? We have no experience, just a Dr. Spock book.
Are we almost there?

Our daughter was born at 9:00 a.m. and we named her Linda Sue (and, of course, she was the most beautiful girl in the nursery).

I do not remember physical pain, just the realization that from February 17, 1952, we would be changed from Joyce and Charlie to mama and daddy.

What a blessing. It was a Sunday I would never forget.

There is an old poem beginning with "Monday's child is fair of face and continuing through the days of the week, concluding with The child born on the Sabbath Day is fair and wise and good and gay".

Another red letter Sunday in our lives was September 23, 1984 when our baby had a baby. We became grandma and grandpa to Brittany Lynn Peel ( and she was the most beautiful girl in the nursery).

What a blessing. I like Sundays.

Written by Joyce P. Wilmoth

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda, Thank you and love, always.
Mama

Anonymous said...

Linda,

Your spouse equilivent was also born on Sunday! What a great day!