CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, October 11, 2008

SADNESS

I have just returned from a called church conference at my church for the purpose of replacing vacancies on the Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC) and electing lay leadership positions. The meeting was chaired by our District Superintendent (DS), Paige Williams . After opening the meeting with prayer, Paige made it clear that this vote was the only item on the agenda . Our selections would be made by written ballot.

We had only 30 minutes to use the sanctuary for our meeting because a wedding was to take place there later in the evening. Almost immediately an individual made a motion from the floor to replace the entire SPRC comittee. The DS told him he was out of order but he would not be silenced. He had another agenda and was disruptive enough that Paige adjourned the meeting.

If you have been reading my blog, you know that we have recently had a difficult and devisive situation at First United Methodist Church involving our downtown music ministry.

Beth Moore's words in my Bible study today were so appropriate. This is what I read prior to going to the meeting today.
" ...when there is a power struggle, the most important question seems to become, 'Whose side are you on?'. Every person seems to look out for his own neck and attempts to pitch his tent in the camp of the one who can do him the most good. Remember, GOD never comes to take sides. He comes to take over."

I will continue to sing in our church choir, NOT because I am choosing sides but because our purpose on this earth is to worship and glorify God.

Today, my sadness comes from those of my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ who seem to have forgotten that purpose.

3 comments:

Kim in NC said...

Linda,

Isn't it so hard to see such discord in the body of Christ. It's when we lose sight of Him, that we allow satan to break down the unity of the church.

Good for you for staying in the choir and keeping your focus on God. You will be blessed for doing so!

Love ya'!
Kim

Anonymous said...

Linda,

I wish there were more like you in church. I was so embarassed today to see the way Paige was treated and bullied by those that think they are doing the right thing. We can have the disagreements but we need to respect each other, those in leadership and God. I feel all of those came up on the short end of the respect aspect today. I am so sad and so mad! It is hard not to take sides now because they have shown the adgenda they seek, to only restore the choir to is past standing no matter how much they hurt others. They have given up on allowing God to work for good even in this situation. Our Sunday School lesson tomorrow is about patiently waiting on God. I found it interesting that in the lesson it said that those who cannot wait patiently on the Lord have a problem with their faith. That they must try to deal with it themselves without God. That they feel their God is to small to have an influence on this world so they strike out on their own trying to fix the things of life that they don't like. I pray that my faith and yours, and others at church have a God that is soooo big that they can wait this out and allow God to do his thing! Our lesson suggests that we be in prayer while we wait with hope that does not go away. I hope I can do just that. Pray with hope knowing that God will fix this for good in his time.
Keep praying for our church, for each others and especially for those that have a God that is to small. Keep posting. You lift me up when I am down!

Your Wildcat in Wildcat Country,
D

Laura said...

Linda,
I hate it so when as Christians we forget what things are to be about. Its not about what type of music is sung or anything like that. Its all about God and his glory. I applaude you for doing the right thing and singing praises to our GOD.
Keeping the focus on the LORD is what its all about.
Love ya
Laura